Now playing:
Wilson Choperena con Orquesta Rafalo "Alvorada"

play bonus track

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

057° .DIRTY BRAZILIAN JAZZ. selected by Les Mains Noires

Yes I know...almost 9 months without a proper selection... I can only apologize for this and tell you that no, I do not forget you and no, I'm not dead! Just starting a new part of life in Sao Paulo since a bit more than a year now. Goma-Gringa's project is taking the main part of my time, and It's a pleasure! My records are still in France and I do not have a correct system to record my new founds here. That are the reasons of such an absence!

But here finally is a new selection!
I'm proud to present to you 18 tracks collected mainly while my six first months here. You'll easily understand the title referring to the successful 'Dirty Caribbean Jazz' serie and his raw, oldie and perfumed mood! So yes, that's a 48 min long journey through Brazilian sounds from the 40s, 50s and early 60s that I propose to to you to discover or rediscover.

The selection featured Samba Jazz, Batuque, Chote, Capoeira, Baião, Pontos Cruzados and more... Trying to give you a small overview of the Brazilian musical diversity and richness.

Give it an ear, and please, let me know your thoughts about it.

Yes I know...almost 9 months without a proper selection...
I can only apologize for this and tell you that no, I do not forget you and no, I'm not dead!
Just starting a new part of life in Sao Paulo since a bit more than a year now!
Goma-Gringa's project is taking the main part of my time, and It's a pleasure!
My records are still in France and I do not have a correct system to record my new founds here.
That are the reasons of such an absence!

But here finally is a new selection!
I'm proud to present to you 18 tracks collected mainly while my six first months here.
You'll easily understand the title referring to the successful 'Dirty Caribbean Jazz' serie and his raw, oldie and perfumed mood!
So yes, that's a 48 min long journey through Brazilian sounds from the 40s, 50s and early 60s that I propose to to you to discover or rediscover.

The selection featured Samba Jazz, Batuque, Chote, Capoeira, Baião, Pontos Cruzados and more...
Trying to give you a small overview of the Brazilian musical diversity and richness.

Give it an ear,
and please, let me know your thoughts about it.


01° SEVERIO ARAUJO // Guriata De Coqueiro (Ratinho) - Continental, 1945
02° ALTAMIRO CARRILHO // Rio Antigo (Altamiro Carrilho) - Copacabana, 1954
03° ORQUESTA DE ORLANDO PEREIRA // Piada (joao roberto kelly?) - Copacabana, 1963
04° J.B. DE CARVALHO // Pai Xango (J.B. de Carvalho)* - Todamerica, 1955
05° JORGE FERNANDES // Ogum Yara * - Sinter, 1955
06° VANJA ORICO // Birimbau (Clodoaldo Brito/J. L. Paiva Matos) - Sinter, 1955
07° CONJUNTO STAR // Capaxa De Umbanda (Sussú/Ocirema Da Silva Magalhães) - Star, 1951
08° J.B. DE CARVALHO // Pisa No Chão (João Mello / Clodoaldo Brito) - Philips, 1951
09° ATAULFO ALVES // Pai Joaquim De Angola (Ataulfo Alves)* - Sinter, 1955
10° ZEZE GONZAGA // Cafuné (Denis Brean/Gilberto Martins) - Columbia, 1951
11° GADÉ e WALFRIDO SILVA // O Feitiço Virou (GeWS) - Musidisc, 1956
12° ALBERTO MOTA // Tamanco No Samba (Orlandivo/Hélton Menezes) - Polydor, 1961
13° INEZITA BARROSO // Estatutos Da Gafieira (Billy Blanco) - Copacabana, 1956
14° CLAUDIONOR CRUZ e sua gente // Você Vai, Eu Não (José ''Jamelão'' Bispo/Pereira Matos) - Rádio, 1956
15° LUIZ GONZAGA // Cintura Fina (Luiz Gonzaga/Zé Dantas) - RCA Victor, 1950
16° SOLON SALES // Juazeiro (Luiz Gonzaga /Humberto Teixeira) - Continental, 1949
17° LUIZ GONZAGA // Assun Preto (Luiz Gonzaga /Humberto Teixeira) - RCA Victor, 1950
18° TRIO DE OURO // Lamento Negro (Humberto Porto / Constantino "Secudino" Silva)* - Columbia, 1941
* there are more than one recording by the same interpret. Researches made in IMS and MemoriaMusical.

Special thanks to my mans Lucas Magalhaes for the addtional infos on each track and Mzk for the help on the recording.

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for this ray of sun on my snowy canadian morning!
    very nice selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
      Best Regards,
      fred.

      Delete
    2. same here... Montréal is so cold right now we need ze heat!!!

      Delete
  2. Tip top selection of the grossly unheard 50's brazilian sound. Many thanks for the sounds of my travels - Sir Ramases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks sir Ramases! (sounds like a pharaoh! Love it! :)
      I'm glad you enjoyed! Spread the word! ;)
      fred.

      Delete
  3. From just reading the description, I know this is going to be an amazing mix already. DL'ing now to make sure! ;)
    Muchas gracias!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your enjoyed it then Christine! Many thanks for your comment!
      Abraços,
      fred.

      Delete
  4. Yes, it is a wonderful mix! Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. super ton site goma gringa !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the good sounds, but I remain unable to illustrate my CD with your Dirty Brazilian Jazz pic.How to obtain this pic please?Many thanks.Kind regards from french guiana. Stéphane Le Jeannic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stéphane!
      Many thanks for your comment! I'm glad to know that I have readers in French Guyana! Actually I was very close a few days before as I was travelling to Belem!
      For your CD, I hope that this pic will be ok: http://bamalamabamaloo.com/LesMainsNoires/057_DirtyBrazilianJazz.jpg
      Let me know!
      All the best,
      fred.

      Delete
  7. SUPER A++ GREAT SELECTION. KEEP ON GROOVIN, FRED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  8. Super top shelf mix, loving it each time it appears on my iPod. Thanks Matt (matsuli)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt!
      Many thanks for your kind comment! Much appreciated! I'm sincerely glad that you enjoyed this selection! looking forward for some collaboration!
      Best Regards,
      fred.

      Delete
  9. This is so nice!
    My morning at work was so much better while listening this songs.
    This is a great moment of brazilian music and, at the same time, almost forgotten, not everyones knowns about it.
    Brazilians have not a fresh memory about its past, and most of young people never heard this before, except for Luiz Gonzaga (who is a excelent postrait of the region that he came from).

    thanks. Fernando.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fernando!
      First of all, many thanks the time you took to send this comment! Much appreciated!
      Then, I'm glad that you enjoyed this selection. She has been made with love so It's always a pleasure to hear from people that find an interest in it!
      That's very interesting what you said about Brazilian people! I guess that this lack of memory of the past is not a Brazilian subject but most countries have to front this problem. But in the same time, I've been amazed when I arrived here in SP by something very Brazilian, that inner love for Brazilian music. I mean, in every party around town, whenever you start playing Brazilian music, everybody start singing and dancing and screaming! That's something really nice! In France, if you talk about Gainsbourg for exemple to the youngest generation, very few of them will really know about him... and that's a pity! I wish France could have a memory of the national culture as strong as the Brazilian one.
      Oh and one last thing, yep, Gonzaga is really a king! And he's super known here in Brazil but in Europe or US, too less people knows him! That's (apart of the incredible musical qualities) the main reason of his presence in this selection!
      Abraços Fernando! And thanks for all!
      fred.

      Delete
  10. Great selection - some real gems. Hugely enjoyable and love the blog lay out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim!
      Many thanks for your kind words! I received your mail so just a word to let you know that there are no problems for you to use some of those tracks for your RadioShow! I'm very happy for this! Many thanks Tim! Keep in touch!
      All the best,
      fred.

      Delete
  11. Hey !

    Just received a link from a (very good !) friend... clicked on it...landed on this page ! Muito Orbigado !

    I use to travel quite a lot and I will definitely consider your website as my travel mate (and when stuck in Paris... will make me travel even more) !

    THANK YOU SO MUCH !

    Rico

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Thanks to you Rico! All the best,
      fred.

      Delete
  12. La nouvelle bande-son de mon quotidien !
    Merci !!

    ReplyDelete